Wednesday, October 5, 2016

After You-Jojo Moyes (Kindle Edition)

Product: After You-Jojo Moyes (Kindle Edition)

Get it Here

Rating: 4/5

Ok, so maybe Jojo Moyes' "After You" Wasn't the follow up I wanted to read after "Me Before You". Me Before You was special. I get it. After You was more like what happens when they make a movie of a book. It was good. You read it. You like it ok, but it just wasn't the same. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen the actual Me Before You movie, so don't crucify me if that's not the case!). After You was more….real. We all wanted to read how Will magically came back to life and they lived happily ever after. Or how she found this deep found meaning and her life was smooth sailing after MBY. I get it. I did too. But that's not life! That's why I actually enjoyed this book. It was a struggle. It was real. It's what people go through after a loss like that. Real people struggle!

I know a lot of people thought a certain teenager was too whiny, too erratic and too annoying. Well everyone, I don't know if you know any real teenagers…but I thought the portrayal was pretty spot on. I have a teenager in my life who struggles with the parentage issue, and, maybe she's not *quite* as dramatic as the book..but boy does she cut it close. I recognized real struggle in these characters. Real issues. Real life. So it's not the same as Me Before You, but it's still good. It's still a quick, good read. It makes you think. It really brings out the issue of grief after a devastating loss. I recognized a lot of myself in Lou's dealing with things.

And that's why it was still as heartbreakingly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment